The new Kenyan passport was introduced by the Immigration department in August 2017. It features a chip that contains a person’s bio data. The old Kenyan passport will cease operation on September 1st 2019.
When it was introduced, it could only be applied for in Kenya. This was really stressful for Kenyans in Diaspora because they have had to travel to Kenya to get the new passport.
The Internal Security Ministry had promised that 6 new centres would be set up to help ease the new Kenyan passport application process for Kenyans in Diaspora. This has come to fruition according to a circular from the Foreign Affairs ministry dated 23rd November 2018.
According to the circular, Kenyans in Diaspora will be able to apply for the new Kenyan passport from November 2019, from the following Kenyan embassies and consulates overseas.
- Washington DC, USA
- London, UK
- Berlin, Germany
- Paris, France
- Dubai, UAE
- Pretoria, South Africa
- How old Kenyan passport holders can apply for the new Kenyan passport
- How to apply for a Kenyan Passport
- How to renew an expired Kenyan passport
- How to replace a lost Kenyan passport
- How to replace a mutilated Kenyan passport
- How to apply for a Kenyan temporary passport online