Pilau is one of the most popular rice dishes around. This tasty coastal dish never misses on the menu at social gatherings and is a regular in many homes. This recipe will ensure a delicious meal which is easy to prepare.
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 2-3 Garlic cloves crushed
- A little ginger crushed
- 2-3 tablespoons ground Pilau Masala (depending on one’s spice preference)
- 1/2 Kg cubed beef
- 4 Tomatoes(finely diced or blended) or 450 g tomato paste
- 2 Cups Rice
- 3 Cups Hot Water
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil as required (2-2.5 tablespoons)
- Heat oil in a sufuria,add in the onion and ginger. Let this cook over a medium flame until browned.
Stir in the meat and replace lid over sufuria.Let the meat cook for about three minutes (the meat should be tender). If the meat has not softened allow it to cook for a few more minutes.
- Add pilau masala and salt while stirring continuously to ensure the spices are well-distributed. (You may also add a little water incase your meat is dry and sticking to the sufuria.)
- Add tomato paste and continue to stir. Add some water (2-3 teaspoons) and bring this to boil after covering the sufuria. The mixture should get the consistency of a thick sauce.
- Add the washed rice and mix well.Proceed to add the 3 cups of water, cover and let this boil over a medium flame for a few about 5 mins.
- Reduce the heat and allow the rice to simmer while covered.After about 5 minutes of cooking, give the rice a stir using a fork and cover. Repeat the stirring one or two more times to ensure the rice is cooking evenly and does not stick to bottom of sufuria.
- The rice should cook until all excess water has evaporated.
Once ready, the dish may be accompanied with some kachumbari.
Article continues after advertisement