Co-op Bank has been declared the overall winners in the 2017 Sustainable Finance Catalyst Awards. The awards are for banks and other financial sector players and are hosted by the Kenya Bankers Association (KBA), the umbrella body of the banking industry.
KCB Group were second overall while Equity Bank were third overall. Other awards included:
Article continues after advertisement
- Co-op Bank – Best in Commercial Case Study
- Co-op Bank – Best Case Study on Bank Operations
- Co-op Bank – Best Practice in Sustainable Finance
- Safaricom – Best Overall in the implementation of Sustainability through Policy and Governance
- Diamond Trust Bank – Best in the Financing of SME’s Case Study Category
- KCB Group – Best practice in sustainable finance Tier 1
- KWFT – Best practice in sustainable finance Tier 2
- Equity Group – Most improved
33 entries were submitted by 14 financial institutions in the competition.
The judging panel for the awards included:
- Ms. Anne Macharia from the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
- Eng. Dan Ndenga, co-founder of Miltec Engineering Limited
- Mr. Edward Mungai, Chief Executive Officer of the Kenya Climate Innovation Center (KCIC)
- Dr. Peter Muriu, a lecturer in Financial and Monetary Economics at the School of Economics, University of Nairobi
- Ms. Rosemary Mutunkei, a leading Corporate Sustainability and Corporate Social Investment practitioner
- Mr. Tumurkhuu Davaakhuu, the Vice President of the Mongolian Bankers Association (MBA) and CEO of Arig Bank.