Canon has announced that it has launched the Canon EOS R8, a new full frame mirrorless camera. The new camera inherits technology from the EOS R6 Mark II.
The Canon EOS R8 comes with a 24.2 megapixel full frame CMOS sensor, high ISO and improved dynamic range. It weighs approximately 461 grams (with card and battery) and is Canon’s lightest full frame EOS R System camera to date. The EOS R8 has a high resolution 2.36m dot EVF working at up to 120fps and UHS-II SD card support. The intuitive interface makes the camera easy to operate on the go with a useful mode dial featuring 12 modes across still and video shooting and a dedicated switch for moving between photo and movie capture.
It comes with built in 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity where users can easily share their work and make use of the Camera Connect app while the WPA/WPA2/WPA3-Personal authentication ensures a secure connection. The Canon EOS R8 can be used as a webcam with its USB video device class (UVC)/ USB audio device class (UAC) support. Users with an image.canon subscription can leverage the Neural Network Image Processing Tool for advanced noise reduction that achieves natural looking JPEG and HEIF images.
Canon also launched the RF 24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM, a small lightweight RF series zoom lens, which can be used together with the EOS R8. The RF 24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM is a small and lightweight lens with a 2x zoom and 24-50mm focal length, a great choice for improving photography and video skills particularly when shooting portraits, interiors or travel. It offers advanced image stabilisation up to 4.5 stops which increases to 7 stops when attached to an EOS R camera with IBIS. Creators and photographers can shoot video and stills in low light without the need for a tripod. Benefitting from the RF Mount, the RF 24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM works with EOS R Series cameras to support a wide range of in-camera image enhancement features including panning in scene mode and focus breathing correction for movies.
Canon EOS R8 key features
- Full frame 24.2 megapixel CMOS sensor
- Full width 6K oversampled 4K 60p video recording and 180fps Full HD recording
- High resolution 2.36 million dot EVF runs at up to 120fps maximum refresh rate
- Intelligent subject detection for animals, vehicles and people
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for always on connection
- RF 24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM key features
- 2x standard zoom lens covering a wide-angle field starting from 24mm
- Optical Image stabilisation up to 4.5 stops
- Up to 7-stops with Coordinated control of OIS x IBIS
- Leadscrew-type STM for smooth movie AF
- Compact and lightweight easy to use design