The Safaricom Youth Orchestra has announced that it has opened applications for this year’s vacant positions. The Orchestra starts from May every year to March the following year. After each year, a few students graduate from the Orchestra. A public audition is then run to fill the vacant positions.
The auditions are held annually to discover musical talents of young Kenyans from all walks of life. The successful candidates are selected by the music directors and tutors through a combination of theoretical and practical tests. The selection considers exceptional musical knowledge, craft and a potential for growth. Upon selection, the candidates are required to demonstrate commitment to individual practice and ensemble music with other musicians in the orchestra.
Essential requirements for candidates
- The applicant should be aged between 10-17 years on or before December 31, 2021. Applicants who are aged over 17 years but still in High School are eligible to apply.
2. The applicants should be Kenyan Citizens and/or Residents in Kenya planning to remain in the country for a minimum of two years from March 2021.
3. The applicant should have previous experience in performing music.
4. The applicant should be able to commit adequate time to attend weekly Safaricom Youth Orchestra rehearsals and regular individual music practice.
5. The applicant should provide a reference from their music teacher.
- The applicant should be able to play any chosen instrument*
- The applicant should be able to read music.
- The applicant should have knowledge of music theory.
In addition to the chosen instrument, applicants are encouraged to bring and demonstrate their ability on any other instruments they play. Students who play traditional instruments in addition to their chosen instrument are welcome. Students who play, or are willing to play, rare instruments such as Oboe, Viola, Bassoon, Cello and Double Bass are especially encouraged to audition.
The application form must be duly signed by the applicant and parent/guardian before submission. All applicants must also have the consent form signed by their parents/guardian.
Interested applicants should download the application form, fill and submit is today 31st March 2021.