The All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) has released nominees for this year’s awards, and Kenyans have been nominated for numerous awards amongst Africa’s most creative talents.
Kenyan artists have been listed in nine of the 30 categories in a selection that commanded 8,860 submissions, the highest since the launch of the awards.
Kenya’s nominees include the following.
- Karun – I Know, Xenia Manasseh – Low Key, Nikita Kering – Ex, are Kenya’s front runners for the Best Female East Africa.
- Bensoul – Nairobi, Nviiri – Niko Sawa, Sauti Sol – Rhumba Japani, have been shortlisted for Best Male East Africa.
- Roadman’s visual for Bensoul’s Nairobi will contest for Best African video.
- Shekinah – Fixate featuring Bey T has been shortlisted for Best Female Artiste Southern Africa.
- Nikita Kering – EX African R&B, Xeniah – Low Key feature in the Most Promising African Artiste.
- Nikita Kering – Ex, Bensoul – Nairobi are Songwriters of the Year.
- Ethic Entertainment and Sauti Sol will go head-on for Best African Group or Duo.
- Tetu Shani and RASH hold it down for Kenya in Best African Rock category.
- Elsa Majimbo will round up proceedings with Personality of the Year.
South Africa’s Blaq Diamond is the most nominated artist with eight entries for the song Summer Yo Muthi, while Focalistic follows closely with hit single Ke Star remix featuring Vigro Deep. Essence by Wizkid and Tems bagged six nominations including Artist of the year in Africa, Best Male in Western Africa and Album of the Year.
Patoranking, Omah Lay, Davido from Nigeria, Fally Ipupa (DRC), MHD (Guinea), and Rayvanny are the third most nominated with four nominations.
“I cannot describe the honour that is to be listed amongst such talents. Thank you @afrimawards; voting begins soon! Let us bring this home!” Nikita Kering wrote on her social networks upon receiving the news.