With the launch of the new Kenyan passport (Kenyan ePassport), current passport holders are required to apply for the new passport. The old passport will cease to be valid by the end of August 2019.
Those will old Kenyan passports will need to be apply for the new one for travel after the end of August 2019. This is the process of applying for the new Kenyan passport.
- Applicants MUST appear in person for digital photo and biometrics capture.
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three invoices.
- Old passport and photocopy of last two pages.
- Original National ID Card & photocopy. Copy must be certified by a lawyer.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommenders ID Card copy (certified by a lawyer)
- Copy of birth certificate
Kenyan passport application form
You have to fill the passport application form online on eCitizen. Find out how to apply for a passport on eCitizen here hapakenya.com/ecitizen-passport-application
The application must be recommended in section 7 by an adult citizen of Kenya. The person recommending the applicant must not be a relative.
1. They photographs must be three in number.
2. The photographs must be taken full face without a hat.
3. The photographs must not be mounted.
4. The size of the photographs must not be more than 2½ inches by 2 inches or less than 2 inches by 1½ inches.
5. The photographs must be printed on normal thin photographic paper and must not be glazed on the reverse side.
6. The person recommending the applicant is required to endorse the reverse side of one copy of the photographs with the words: I certify that this is a true likeness of the applicant Mr. (Mrs. or Miss) and add their signature.
Kenyans will have to start the application process for their passport on the eCitizen platform. Once you complete your application, you will need to pay for your passport. You can pay for your passport via Safaricom M-Pesa, Debit Card, Credit Card, Prepaid Debit Card, Airtel Money and eCitizen Agent.
Book an appointment
You will then be required to book an appointment on the eCitizen platform. You should choose a date that works for you and the immigration centre where you want to submit your application. The immigration centres that are currently processing the new Kenyan passports in Kenya are in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru, Kisii, Eldoret, and Embu. The passports are also being issued at the Kenyan embassy in Washington DC. At the centres, immigration officials will receive your application plus required documents and also take your fingerprints, digital photo and signature.
Kenyan Passport fees
- A series (32 pages) – Ksh. 4,550
- B series (48 pages) – Ksh. 6,050
- C series (64 pages) – Ksh. 7,550
- Diplomatic – Ksh. 7,550
Find passport fees for Kenyans living abroad here: hapakenya.com/passport-fees-kenyans-living-abroad/
The Kenya Passport will be available for collection 30 days after successful application.