Judith Owigar is the owner of a tech startup JuaKali which is a directory for skilled blue collar workers. She is also the President of Akirachix, an organisation that supports African women in technology. She loves music, the feeling after jogging and food.
We had a few questions for her and this is what she had to say:
1. What was your first phone?
Siemens C45 or A36 … not too sure
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
Twitter, I think it has a wider reach and I can connect with more people. I learn more when I am on Twitter than Facebook.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Seems so far yet so near. Well what I can think of is business, family, more money, a beach and changing the world hopefully for the better.
4. Any question for us? We’ll publish our answer as well
Where do you see yourself in five years?
Sipping a single malt in Malindi while working on my 2nd novel :-).
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
Increase the salaries of police officers, give them proper health insurance, change their uniforms to something more flattering, and issue smaller fire arms the ones they carry look cumbersome. After that I’ll sample all the statehouses in the country, is this possible in a day? I’ll find out.
6. Whats your favourite book & movie?
Book: Outliers by Maxwell Gladwell
Movie: Shawshank Redemption
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
My mom. When I think of how she came from mashinani (upcountry) to Nairobi and all the things she has accomplished I get inspired.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
I’d probably be a designer. I like how designers can take a plain concept and give it life.
9. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Reading minds. That would be entertaining.
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 5 things would you want to have?
- Sufuria – to cook, shield, weapon
- Bible- sometimes I just want to read a book not a screen
- Solar heated, water proof, dust resistant blanket
- Satellite smart Phone
- Solar charger
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
Range Rover Vogue. Beauty meets power
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in? Why?
Skillet. Their drummer/ vocalist has amazing skills.
13. What sort of challenges do women in tech face? Your advice on overcoming them?
In Africa the challenges are mainly cultural, social and economic. Basically how society views women and the roles they should play; discouragement from peers, parents or the community; and limited or no funding for their education.
I think the best way to overcome these challenges is to sorround yourself with people who encourage you to be the best you can be and to reach out to people who you would like to emulate. Join Akirachix for example 😉
14. Share something interesting about yourself with our readers.
I was a member of a church dance group once.