Uber has announced that it has launched a phone option for ordering taxis via its service. Customers will be able to order uberCHAPCHAP and uberX taxis in Nairobi via the new feature.
To use the new feature, customers should use the toll free number 0800 722 000 from their mobile phone. This option will help people who don’t have a smartphone or an internet connection to be able to order an Uber ride without having to use the app.
In addition to requesting a taxi, the toll free number will also allow customers to cancel a trip as well as give them access to the 24/7 customer support feature.
Brian Njao; Country Manager for Uber in Kenya had this to say, “Not having a smartphone or an internet connection should not deny people access to reliable and affordable transportation. We believe that with this option, we can make our technology available and easy to use for more people in Kenya than ever before while providing more earning opportunities for driver-partners.”
How it works:
- Call 0800 722 000 from your mobile phone – a support agent will answer to help riders request for a taxi. They will be able to get a taxi regardless of whether they have an Uber account or not. If they don’t have one, the agent will create it over the phone for them.
- Share your location and destination – the agent will ask about the riders pick-up location and destination addresses and will generate the fare estimate.
- Confirm fare – After the fare confirmation, the agent will order a taxi on the Uber platform, on the riders behalf. The agent will connect the request with the nearest available driver.
- Access your trip data via SMS – Customers will then receive an SMS with all details about the ride (confirmation of trip, estimated arrival time, car details such as license plate, make and colour, the name of the driver and contact number. They will also be sent a link where they can follow the car route. If riders have the Uber app installed, the trip will also be visible in the application. If riders do not have a smartphone or the Uber app, they can call 0800 722 000 where an agent will update them on the arrival time of their driver.
- Pay in Cash: once they reach their destination, payment is done in cash only.
Earlier this year, Uber launched Uber Lite, a simpler version of the Uber app which works on any android phone while saving storage space and data.