Buddha Blaze is a legend in the Kenyan entertainment circles and was the editor of East Africaâ€™s first entertainment magazine PHAT! Magazine, TV host for Channel O â€˜On the Streets’ & Nation TVâ€™s ‘RootStop’. He has produced two street DVDs called SHIKA 1 and 2 featuring Chris Rock.
In 2007 Buddha Blaze became creative partner at Spark Africa where they designed and managed a global artists movement for British Council called WAPI and set it up in Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, Uganda and Malawi. Through WAPI Buddha Blaze has inspired the careers of many artists such as Sauti Sol, Big Mic, Point Blank, Muthoni the Drummer Queen and Liz Ogumbo. Buddha Blaze manages the UN Habitat movement called Messengers of Truth with Knaan & GURU. To find out more about him go here
We had a few questions for him & this is what he had to say.
1. What was your first phone?
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
I prefer Twitter. Itâ€™s my style its more intelligent, conversations are real and progressive. Facebook looks like a market.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
On top of my game, 5 years in it.
4. His question to us: What inspires you?
The realization that i can make a difference.
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
6. Whatâ€™s your favourite book & movie?
Book: Scarface Book. Movie: Celestine Prophesy
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
The lack of properly done poetry, hip hop events.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
A preacher, I feel like the world is losing its soul. More people need to know Godâ€™s word.
9. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
The third sense. The power to read minds.
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 5 things would you want to have?
- A Bible
- A pair of Ray ban Shades
- A pair of binoculars
- a Tatang knife
- Any Maya Angelou book
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
The Range because itâ€™s my fav car. It can go anywhere anytime. Kind of like my personality. Iâ€™m a traveller. I go anywhere anytime.
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in? Why?
The Roots; theyâ€™re so musical and play all the music I like â€“ rock, hip hop, soul, reggae and blues.
13. If you were just starting out and had Kshs. 250,000 where would you invest it? Why?
In my farm. I love farming. I love organic food and love the smell of the earth. Iâ€™m connected to it.
14. Share something interesting about yourself with our readers.
I have become a pretty spiritual person and believe that everything happens for a deep reason that we shall only find out in this or another lifetime. I also believe that everyone one of us lives in the image of God so we have been here before in another form and not only that we shall come back in another form. Each individualâ€™s soul is recycled in many different forms of their lifetime. While people look for money, pleasure and what not I search for spiritual highness. When things settled down, I intend to take a whole year off just to read the bible and work out.