Mutua Matheka is an artist(draws, sketches, molds stuff). He loves drawing, illustration, photography, architectural visualization but Photography is his latest obsession. He loves to get his adrenaline pounding by riding motorbikes, mountain climbing, and (if he got a chance) para troop and ski. He is a career Architect working as an Interior designer. He studied architecture in Jomo Kenyatta University in Kenya and is currently employed as an Interior designer.
He credits his creativity to The Creator, and his mom who put crayons in his hands when he was just 3 years old. Happily married to a beautiful woman who also doubles as a personal model. His long term plan is to ride all around rural Kenya teaching kids art and taking photos.
1. What was your first phone?
First phone was an Alcatel something 311 or something like that
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
I prefer twitter because in my short experience there, I have realized it is easier to make contacts and I have met really cool people on twitter. Also the Trending Topics from Kenyan’s are hilarious
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years
In 5 years….let’s see(well, I am not the kinda guy who see’s the future in detail, I kinda flow with what comes my way) but, that said…I would like to have a nourishing photography business and be a household name in creative photography in Kenya…also have 2 kids and a Nikon D700 camera
4. Any question for us? We’ll publish our answer as well
What is all this about anyway?
This is an attempt to get our readers an insight into interesting people’s worlds & minds.
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
If I were president for a day…I would be a dictator so Iâ€™d kinda fire the current parliament, replace them with other guys, make it compulsory for future presidents to use only helicopters while on transit within 200km of State House, call leaders from various corrupt departments and threaten them with death, castration or worse if they don’t get their houses in order, add teacher’s and police salary’s and then take a random helicopter ride to shoot the sunset from Mt. Kenya at the end of that day….(in a nutshell)
6. Whats your favourite book & movie?
Fave book is Outliers by Malcom Gladwell and movie is ‘The Lord of The Rings’ trilogy
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
Well, I am an architect by profession, that was inspired by a neighbor, Jack when I was in Std 6(He was in campus then), I used to see the models and blue prints and decided to do that in life, I do.
My photography was inspired by Jim Chuchu. I love art, all art, I have loved being able to take good photos but the first time I was jolted enough to want to pick up the camera was when I saw Chuchu’s work.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
From Architecture/Interior design, I would go into full time photography. It is a different expression of Art. I really cannot see myself doing anything that is not artistic…I shudder at the thought…
9.If you had a superpower, what would it be?
A super power would be flight….I love heights, being able to see things from above would be super. It would save me hiring planes and helicopters to take aerial photos. And I would be able to do my levitation photography without editing…cool stuff. Flight, yes, flight.
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 5 things would you want to have?
On an island,
- Bible(wouldn’t want to go without that word)
- My wife, does she count, she better!
- I’m guessing the island doesn’t have power so no need for gadgets so, a BBQ jiko(at least when I catch me some game, I have somewhere to choma it)
- Bow & arrow set(to take care of the game for #3)
- A flare gun(for when I get bored with the stranded thing and need me some rescue, though with my wife & a jiko, I don’t see what I shall miss)
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
I would want to be a Honda CBR 1000RR, wait, do motorcycles count? If so, yes, a ‘Honda CBR 1000RR’, when I roar, you listen, then you look but alas, I shall have sped away
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in? Why?
Hmmm…I can’t be too particular with this one but reggae bands seem to have lots of fun. I’d be in one as the drummer.