The Energy Management Awards began in 2004 as a collaboration between the Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM), the Global Environmental Facility and the Government of Kenya. The theme this year was, “thirteen years towards a green economy.” The awards ceremony saw an increase in participation with seventy entries.
The awards ceremony commends and recognises companies and individuals that have been exemplary in energy conservation and management.
KAM chair, Flora Mutahi spoke on KAM’s vision to increase the manufacturing sector contribution to the economy’s GDP to 15% from 11%. The manufacturing sector is an energy intensive component of the economy, using up to 60% of the country’s energy. She therefore emphasised the importance of sustainable energy management and incorporation of green energy technologies into business models.
KPLC MD, Ken Tarus talked about the organisation’s commitment towards green energy, with plans of building a 160MW geothermal plant in January. In order to increase connectivity and quality of electricity supplied, the government has set aside 119 billion shillings that will be used for building 252 more sub stations countrywide. He also talked about the Badilisha bulb campaign which has supplied three million Kenyans with energy saving bulbs as one of the efforts which are complimentary to the move towards clean energy.
The chief guest at the event was Mr. Siddharth Chatterjee who is the UN resident coordinator. He gave a speech on Kenya’s economic growth potential and the energy security challenges that would come with rapid population growth. Kenya’s population is projected to reach 65 million by 2030 and 85 million by 2050.
The winners of the thirteenth Energy Management Awards are as follows:
1. Electricity Savings Award (Small Consumer)
2. Electricity Savings Award (Medium Consumer)
Finlays Tea Extracts-Saosa
3. Electricity Savings Award (Large Consumer)
East African Breweries Ltd
4. Fuel Savings Award (Small Consumer)
5. Fuel Savings Award (Medium Consumer)
6. Fuel Savings Award (Large Consumer)
Athi River Mining Ltd
7. Best energy Management Team Award
Cook N Lite
8. Best New Entrant
Trianium Hospitality (Kolobot Gardens)
9. Technical Committee’s Award-Best presentation
10. Best Energy Management –Tea Sector
Gitugi Tea Factory
11. Best Energy Management –Service Sector
SarovaLionhill Game Lodge
12. Recognition in Water Efficiency
James Finlays- Kitumbe
13. Overall Energy Management Award-Small Consumer
Gitugi Tea Factory
14. Overall Energy Management Award-Medium Consumer