A land audit ordered by President Uhuru Kenyatta has revealed that 500,000 acres of public land were grabbed in Lamu County between the years 2011 and 2012. The land, which accounts for almost 70% of land within Lamu, was allocated illegally to 22 private entities.
According to the president, most of the grabbed land is within the LAPSSET corridor where Kenya, in partnership with Uganda, Ethiopia and South Sudan, plans to put a port and a pipeline.
“Land was grabbed strategically for speculation purposes targeting Lapsset. 13 out of the 21 berths for the Lamu Port have been allocated to grabbers. The Lamu Special Economic Zone was allocated to private companies over the same period,” said the President.
President Uhuru has directed that the title deeds for the land in question to be revoked, the land posessed and for those involved to be prosecuted.
Companies that grabbed Lamu County Land
1. Brick Investments Limited, LR No. 29110, got 40,014 acres
2. Brick Investments Limited LR No. 29113 got 40,014 acres
3. Rusken International Limited LR No. 2911 got 40,014 acres
4. Mat International LR No. 29115 got 40,014 acres
5. Witu Nyangoro (DA) Company LR No. 29274 got .79, 534 acres
6. Witu Conservative Self Help Group LR No. 281448 got 54,201 acres
7. Shanghai Investment Limited LR No. 29247 got 19,760 acres
8. Fincorp Investments (K) Limited LR No. 29246 got 41,990
9. Kaab Investments LR No. 29322 got 6,268 acres
10. Sheila Ranch Limited LR No. 29254 got 5,399 acres
11. Dynamic Trading Co. Limited LR No. 29067 got 22,230 acres
12. Savannah Fresh Fruits Exports LR No. 29067 got 24,502 acres
13. Mokowe Kibokoni Ranch Limited LR No. 29256 got 6,725 acres
14. Panda Nguo Boni Community got 12,350 acres
15. Baragoni Boni Community LR No. 2927 got 19,760 acres
16. Khalrala Ranch LR 29255 got 12,276 acres
17. Cyberdom Investments LR No. 29322 got 11,000
18. Baragoni Ranch
19. Enganani Ranch
20. Lamu Investments
21. Amu Ranch
22. Maalim Ranch
Owners of companies that grabbed land in Lamu County
1. Brick Investments
Registered on 9/12/2011. No. CPR/2011/62444. Directors are Alice Masaa and Margaret Kavulani with 1 share each
2. Brick Investment Limited
Registered on 5/08/2011. No. CPR/2011/53032. Directors are Lars Jonas Geke & Timothy Kuria with 500 shares each.
3. Dynamic Trading Company
Registered on 9/9/2011. No. CPR/2011/55975. Directors are Alice Masaa & Margaret Kavulani with 1 share each.
4. Mat International
Registered on 15/03/99. No. C.84842. Directors are Twalib Ali Mohamed Hatayan with 620 shares and Abdicated Hagi Yarrow with 380 shares.
5. Shanghai Africa Investment Limited
Registered on 4/11/2013. No. CPR/2013/121805. Directors are John Gitu Kiarie, peter Njiru, Peter Mwangi, Daniel Mwangi, Simon Wanjohi, Burton Maina, Michael Kariuki and Jeremiah Gikonyo.
6. Fincorp Investments Limited
Registered on 6/08/2011. No. CPR/2011/54278. Directors are Farouk Hamid Khamis & Said Abdullah with 500 shares each.
7. Kaab Investments Limited
Registered on 12/10/2007. No. C.145956. Directors are Zein Mohammed Ahmed with 32400 shares, Aweys Ahmed with 21600 shares, James Mwangi Muturi with 12,000 shares & Balwinder Kaur Sagoo with 54,000 shares.
8. Dynamic Trading Company Limited
Registered on 21/03/2005. No. C.115530. Directors are Vijay Kumar with 1 share & Ankit Bhardwaj with32,400 shares.
Apparently 14 of the firms that allegedly grabbed 500,000 acres of land in Lamu donâ€™t appear in the Registrar of Companies records.