Dan ‘chizi’ Aceda is a Kenyan Singer Songwriter. He has recorded two studio albums Benganology(2010) and Suluwe (2005) and has written songs for many different artists including Kanji Mbugua, Joseph Hellon, Atemi Oyungu amongst others. He has also won two Kisima Awards and been nominated for two others. In 2011, Dan became the first Kenyan musician to perform at the Lake of Stars Festival in Malawi.
You can sample his music here.
1. What was your first phone?
Siemens C35. It was Horrible. (Donâ€™t ask which phone I have now either)
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
I think they offer different things. I use both quite effectively. I am not sentimental about either of them.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years
Hopefully I will have played 10,000 gigs! I hope to be on tour as much as possible. Gigs are the reason I get up in the morning.
4. Any question for us? We’ll publish our answer as well
What African songs are you guys playing at your office?
- We ‘re playing Africa In Your Earbuds Volume 4, a mix by DJ Stimulus called “What it Means”. It has some WICKED Fela Kuti mixes, check it out.
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
I would spend the whole day trying to ensure that I can stay president for a year.
6. Whatâ€™s your favourite book & movie?
Iâ€™m very slow with movies so there will not be any fireworks here. I canâ€™t get enough of the Matrix Trilogy. As for books, I prefer the heady reads. Canâ€™t pick a favorite though I have read Leo Tolstoyâ€™s War and Peace close to 50 times.
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
There are a lot of influences in my life. A lot of people have been very good to me. The biggest influences are my mum and my grandma. They taught me about living life with no fear at all and about self sacrifice for family and loved ones. Besides that, Im just another ordinary chap trying to feed my family.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
I would very much like to go back to Swahili radio. Itâ€™s where I started my career and it would give me a great outlet for the second passion in my life which is Kiswahili. I will one day walk into one of these stations.
9. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
I would like to be able to read minds. Know your enemy (know your friends even more)
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 3 things would you
want to have?
- My bass Guitar
- A bass amp
- 3 toothbrushes
I hear sea water can ruin my teeth!
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
Landrover Defender 110. I never give up.
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in?
Itâ€™s a tie between Jamiroquai and TPOK Jazz.( I know) Though there is also The Wailers, Morgan Heritage, Osibisa, Qitangoma, The Pat Matheny Group, .. (we could be here for a while).
Why? Well I guess it’s always about learning something new. The bands I have named here were/are the very best at their own styles.
13. Share something interesting about yourself with our readers.
I have a secret stash of Shaaban Robert Poems that (sorry, I’m THAT guy)
[Landrover image via The Telegraph]