The Tourism Recovery Program is a training, mentoring and financial support program designed for travel and tourism entrepreneurs in Egypt, Mexico, South Africa and Kenya. The program aims to build resilient and sustainable tourism businesses and take steps towards recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic.
This year’s edition has kicked off, with tourism entrepreneurs encouraged to apply by Sunday, the 20th of June 2021.
Shortlisted teams will benefit from training, mentorship, tools and resources and access to market. The teams also stand a chance to receive Ksh. 1,181,310 (EUR 9,000) direct financial support to sustain their operations through the challenges of the pandemic.
Eligible applicants must prove that
1. 3 key team members can participate in the program per business, among them at least one (co-)founder or legal representative to prove legal representation.
2. Your business was legally registered in Egypt, Mexico, South Africa, and Kenya between Jan 2010 and Dec 2019.
3. Your business was revenue-generating within 18 months before March 2020 and has been directly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (halted operations, employment loss, revenue loss, client loss, etc.)
4. Your business displays a need for immediate financial support as well as ability to benefit from training and mentoring.
5. The business has an innovative component or approach in travel and tourism; this includes technological, environmental, and social innovations.
6. The business is locally owned and operates independently.
7. Your business model is directly or indirectly supported by collaborations between your business and the European market. These collaborations include but are not limited to current or past partnerships, projects/initiatives, trips/experiences, clients, customers, suppliers, service providers, or supporters.
In the selection of participants, additional consideration will be given to encourage diversity and inclusion
The program is interested in supporting tourism and travel entrepreneurs in the following sectors
- Food and Beverage
- Destination Management Company
- Recreation, culture and sporting facilities
- Tech and Consultancy (booking platforms, travel portals, support platforms, consultancy firms, agencies, events management)
- Tour operators (experience and Adventure tourism, community and local tourism, educational tourism, entertainment tours)
- Transportation, booking and logistics.
- Other services in the tourism supply chain