Jackson Biko writes for a living. He has a column in True Love (Last Word) and one on Saturday Nationâ€™s magazine (Man Talk). On top of these he writes for the Business Dailyâ€™s Friday lifestyle magazine, BD Life where he writes travel and profile pieces and also reviews bars and movies.
But his biggest presence is his blog bikozulu where he tells stories with his â€œeyes closed.â€ His blog, he says, hopes to tell stories of urbanites in a prose that is satirical, irreverent and thoughtful.
1. What was your first phone?
A Nokia 5110, it was an offer from Safaricom and came with 250 bob airtime. It was heavy and it had a long antennae, which means it was also a weapon.
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
I’m not big on social media as such, but I think Twitter is more interesting because words reign supreme: you have less words to air your ignorance. But I will be quick to accept that Facebook comes handy on those lazy afternoons when all you want to do is stare at pictures of folk who believe they are truly photogenic.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Running a great lifestyle publication.
4. Any question for us? (we will publish our answer as well)
Who comes up with these questions?
- We found then tucked in the pages of a novel we bought for Shs. 200 on Ronald Ngala St.
Why do poets like squinting?
- Fame = Bright lights, its an occupational hazard.
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
I would change the constitution to make me president for another four years, banana republic style.
6. Whats your favourite book & movie?
Fools Die, Mario Puzo. Great book. Movie? Pulp Fiction. Samuel L Jackson was in true element.
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
One day I woke up and faced that little fire that always drew me towards a pen.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
I would be an advertising copywriter. Why? because it’s driven by creativity- plus they don’t need an excuse to drink whiskey at work.
9.If you had a superpower, what would it be?
The power to always make the right decision. Always.
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 5 things would you want to have?
- An endless subscription of GQ and Esquire magazines.
- iPod with about 2,000 songs
- Movies to last me until they save me. If they ever save me.
- The skills required to make a boat powered by coconut oil.
- A bible
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
A black Range Rover. That car has presence, it’s grounded and it doesn’t try too hard to impress. It just does.
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in? Why?
Coldplay. They are those groups who sing and you feel are on about something transformative.
13. Share something interesting you would like to share with our readers
Don’t waste time mourning about your life. Get off your ass and do something about it.