President Uhuru Kenyatta has appointed 34 out of 41 judges nominated by the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) for appointment to superior courts. 6 nominated judges were however rejected, with no reasons given. These include Justices Aggrey Muchelule, George Odunga, Weldon Korir and Prof. Joel Ngugi who were to join the Court of Appeal.
Justices Msagha Mbogholi, Omondi Hellen Amollo, Mumbi Ngugi, Francis Tuiyott, Nyamweya Pauline Nyaboke, Jessie Lesiit and Laibuta Imaana are among the seven who were appointed to the Court of Appeal in a gazette notice dated June 3.
There has been a frosty relationship between the Judiciary and Executive, fueled by the delay in appointing the nominated judges. Former Chied Justice David Maraga decried the crisis causes by the inadequate judges in superior courts.
The 41 Judges were recommended by JSC in July 2019 for appointment to the Court of Appeal, the Environment and Land Court and the Employment and Labor Relations Court. The delayed appointments formed the basis of Maraga’s frustrations.
In a Gazette Notice issued on Thursday, President Kenyatta appointed 18 judges to the Environment and Land Court and nine Employment and Labour Land Court.
Judges appointed to the Employment and Labour Relations Court are
- Justice Baari Christine Noontatua
- Justice Gakeri Jacob Kariuki
- Justice Keli Jemima Wanza
- Justice Mwaure Ann Ngibuini
- Justice Matanga Bernard Odongo Manani
- Justice Rutto Stella Chemtai
- Justice Kebira Ocharo
- Justice Kitiku Agnes Mueni-Nzei
- Justice Nderitu David Njagi
Meanwhile, the following Judges were appointed to the Environment and Land Court
- Justice Mboya Oguttu Joseph
- Justice Naikuni Lucas Leperes
- Justice Mwanyale Michael Ngolo
- Justice Addraya Edda Dena
- Justice Kimani Lilian Gathoni
- Justice Kamau Joseph Mugo
- Justice Wabwoto Karoph Edward
- Justice Koross Anne Yatich Kipingor
- Justice Gicheru Maxwell Nduiga
- Justice Mogeni Ann Jacqueline Akhalemesi
- Justice Ongarora Fred Nyagaka
- Justice Christopher Kyania Nzili
- Justice Mugo David Mwangi
- Justice Omollo Lynette Achieng’
- Justice Washe Emmanuel Mutwana
- Justice Nyukuri Annet
- Justice Murigi Theresa Wairimu
- Justice Asati Esther