Wanjiku Mwaura seeks poetic inspiration from lifeâ€™s simplicity
In 2011, some of her works were published in two anthologies â€˜fresh Paintâ€™ and â€˜synchronized inkâ€™ Currently working on her own anthology, she has taken to the stage for the last four years sharing and learning as she performs alongside Kenyaâ€™s best spoken word poets and veterans in the poetry scene in Kenya such as Ngwatilo Mawiyoo (a self-published poet) Njeri Wangari, Michael Kwambo, Tony Mochama, Grand Master Masese and many others.
She has further been honored to grace; the Sawa Sawa festival (2011) as The first poet to perform at the festival, the Johannesburg Arts alive international festival, held in Jâ€™burg Sept 2010 where she performed alongside international artiste Queen Godis (NY,USA) and some of the leading South African Poets like Napo Masheane, Qbibo intalektual (Swaziland) an experience she cites as â€˜Educatively entertainingâ€™.
She has been crowned Slam Africa Queen (Aug 2009) and has gone on to be featured poet at Kwani Open Mic, Poetry Spot, Jukwaani 2009 among others and has had several appearances on the mainstream media. She also performs at charity events and corporate functions.
Other than just poetry she is involved in raising awareness on cerebral palsy condition as well as editorial work and most recently a facilitator in poetry workshops.
We had a few questions for her and this is what she had to say
1. What was your first phone?
It was a Nokia
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
I’d say Twitter, it’s easy to control the information you want.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I will be applying performance art and community development concomitantly
4. Any question for us?
If you were to change something about Kenya, what would it be?
- “Naomba serikali”
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
Take back the arts to primary school. Pay the â€˜Early Childhoodâ€™ teachers more money than the lecturers, Ensure the operation and sustainability of talent schools.
6. Whats your favourite book & movie?
Book? Paulo Coelhoâ€™s Brida.
Movie? I’d say Shrek.
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
My parents. They allowed me to dream and supported me.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
The same!! I wouldnâ€™t change !! In my current profession I do everything I enjoy, most times.
9.If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Teleporting to attend poetry festivals
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 5 things would you want to have?
- A notebook
- A mirror,
- A pen,
- A condensed Readers Digest,
- A collection of music.
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
A Subaru!!! Because my laughter is conspicuous 😀
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in? Why?
They are Kenyan, diverse and I just like them a lot.
13. Share something interesting about yourself with our readers. Depending on how a date goes, Iâ€™ll write a poem.