Akil Ahmed is a Spoken Word artist who is diverse about his content and ideas. He focuses on sensitive and overlooked issues in the world. He is also a Slam Africa Champion, Event Organizer, Graphics Designer, Web Developer, TV Producer, and an Online Marketing Strategist. He is a blogger and the founder of www.flowetree.com
1. What was your first phone?
Like most of the people I know, I owned the very 1st famous grenade launcher, Nokia 3310 (Space Impact, hurrah!!)
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter? Why?
I clearly prefer Twitter because it gives people a limited space to be creative. Personally, I always found people who use the least words to say a lot to be intelligent and precise. Less is more. Facebook has its advantages though, with its visual nature, interface and diverse interactive tools. I always say they are different concepts that are not there to replace each other.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
5 years? Hmmm, 1st Poet President of the EAC? NOOO? Okay, maybe the ultimate marketing and PR guru in East Africa.
4. Any question for us? We’ll publish our answer as well
Why is Wamathai.com not a published monthly magazine?
That’s not something we are able to do at the moment because of financial constraints but there are plans to publish some of the content on here in a book.
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
No brainer, fight to cut all the MP salaries into a third of what they get, have a huge press conference to advice Kenyans that not all Somalis are Alshababs, not all Kikuyus are Mungikis, not all Luos are crazy Gor fans (emphasis on crazy) and not all UoN students are doing a Bachelor’s Degree in the art of Stone Throwing.
6. Whats your favourite book & movie?
Book: Tough choice, but I’d go for Benazir Bhutto’s auto biography. It changed my perception on a lot of things.
Movie: Pulp Fiction and Dark Knight tie. Tarantino and Nolan are geniuses.
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
My mum is the reason behind 90% of what I do, I can’t credit any effort I have to ambition but her. Having lost my father young, she has filled both shoes and I am the man I am today because of her.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into? Why?
I would be an attraction, relationship and dating consultant because I took my time to learn how the male and female minds work. I think its a power I have. Hahaha… If only Kenyans were willing to pay. SMH.
9. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
This is the toughest question to ask a game and superhero comic book fan like me. I’m obsessed with heroes. If I was to be granted a power, it would be mind reading and mental manipulation. Yes I am evil. *Villain laugh*
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island what 5 things would you want to have?
Water and food obviously 1st.
A MacBook with internet – twitter
PS3 with a huge HD screen – FIFA, Call Of Duty and latest games.
11. If you were a car, what car would you like to be? Why?
A TOYOTA VITZ, I want fly women to ride me 😛
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would you like to be in? Why?
No brainer. SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA. I would love to be associated with their music.
13. What advice would you give to up and coming performance poets?
I would love to refer this question to a poem on my blog called “A New Beginning” but in short, Poets are bigger than fame, yet our words are bigger than us. When you write a poem write it in a frame of mind in that you will change someone’s life positively. I always say, a life changed, is a fan earned. Let us inspire and push heaven.
14. Share something interesting about yourself with our readers.