Yogurt is a delicious, healthy, and filling snack that you can enjoy in many ways. You can use it to make salad dressing, bake cakes and make other healthy snacks that are enjoyable for the whole family. If you want to turn a simple cup of yogurt into an impressive snack, here are some recipes you can try out.
1.Yogurt Fruit Pops
Yogurt fruit pops are perfect for cooling down during the hot weather. They’re also a healthy snack for the kids when they’re craving something sweet. However, the best part is that you’ll only need three ingredients to make this mouth-watering treat.
- 3 Cups of plain/vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups of frozen, assorted fruits
- 6 tablespoons of honey
- Whisk together 1 cup of yogurt and 2 tablespoons of honey in a bowl.
- Put the remaining 2 cups of yogurt and 4 tablespoons of honey in a blender/food processor with the frozen fruits.
- Pulse until the mixture is almost smooth with a few chunks.
- Layer the yogurt and honey mixture in a popsicle mold then top with the fruit mixture.
- Place in the freezer for at least 8 hours
2. Tangy Guacamole
Having a movie night and wondering what to serve? Well, you can make a simple guacamole dip to go with your chips. Guacamole is a staple in Mexican cuisine that is used as a dip, condiment, spread, or salad. For avocado lovers, this is a must-try recipe.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup of plain yogurt
- ¼ cup of red onion (chopped)
- 2/3 cup of tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Half the avocados then scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Add lemon juice to the bowl then use a fork to mash the avocados until it’s of a desirable consistency
- Stir in yogurt, onions, tomatoes, and cilantro
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with chips
3. Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
Smoothies are a great breakfast meal or post-workout snack as they give the body an extra boost of energy. You can use any fruits you’d like to make the smoothie. However, this apple cinnamon recipe gives you the right nutrients to start your morning.
- 1 apple (diced)
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Put the diced apples in a blender together with the yogurt, cinnamon, and sugar
- Blend until creamy and smooth
- Serve garnished with an apple slice and cinnamon dust
4. Yogurt Parfait
Don’t let the fancy name intimidate you. This visually appealing snack is easy to make and the perfect treat to serve your guests or spoil yourself. Additionally, the ingredients are affordable and it won’t take you long to prepare.
- 1 cup of assorted fruits (sliced)
- ¼ cup of granola/dry breakfast cereal/nuts
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (optional)
- 4 mint leaves
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- Combine the fruit, sugar, and mint in a bowl and let it sit for 3 minutes
- Put half the yogurt in a large glass then top with half the fruit mixture and granola/cereal/nuts
- Add the remaining yogurt and top with fruits and granola/cereal/nuts creating visible layers
- Pour any remaining juice and serve
5. Tomato, Basil & Yogurt Soup
Yogurt can be used in both sweet and savoury recipes thanks to its versatile flavour. You can add it to your soup to not only give it a creamy texture but also boost its flavour. It works well with several soups including leek soup, potato soup, and butternut soup.
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 3 large tomatoes (halved)
- 1 large white onion (chopped finely)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon of basil leaves (shredded0
- Vegetable stock
- Heat the pan with oil then add the garlic, onions, and tomatoes.
- Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are tender then add vegetable stock/water, basil leaves, and pepper
- Cover and let it simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and let it cool
- Put in a blender and puree
- Put it back in the pan and heat up then add yogurt to make it creamy
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve with bread
6. Lemon Yogurt Cake
If you’re looking for a simple and super tasty cake recipe, this is perfect for you. The lemon, yogurt, and vanilla combination give the cake a mouth-watering taste. Adding yogurt to a cake also makes it lighter and moister. It’s almost impossible to mess up this recipe since the yogurt helps it bake well.
- 1 lemon zest
- 150ml of plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 175 grams of self-raising flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil/margarine/butter
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Mix the sugar, flour, baking powder, and lemon zest in a large bowl
- Add yogurt, oil/margarine/butter, and eggs and mix them until smooth
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Grease a baking tin
- Pour the batter into the tin and place in the oven
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until risen and brown on top
- Let it cool for a few minutes in the tin
- Mix sugar and lemon juice until it dissolves
- Make small holes in the cake using a skewer
- Drizzle the lemon mixture in the holes evenly
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a plate