Aly-Khan Satchu is an investment banker and the proprietor of the website www.rich.co.ke – an open resource for tracking live prices on the Nairobi Stock Exchange.
He is the author of the book ‘Anyone Can Be Rich’, a useful guide to investing in the Kenyan markets. He features regularly on CNBC Africa analysing the markets, Al-Jazeera and has a daily column in the Kenyan newspaper Nairobi Star.
Aly-Khan is also a prolific tweeter on the markets in general and geopolitics which he follows continuously. He also runs a monthly business club – Mindspeak – a unique,highly interactive,indigenous forum telling the African story.
We had a couple of questions for him, and this is what he had to say:
1. What was your First phone?
My First Phone was a Motorola
2. What do you prefer? Facebook or Twitter?
I prefer Twitter I think of it as a 21st century Note Pad.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Somewhere serene but in the Global Village.
4. Any questions for us?
What are You Folks about?
We live for writing and this space promotes its many forms.
5. What would you do if you were president for a day?
I would start with an Address to the Nation. I would set out My Plan and Invite everyone to help me with it.
6. Favorite book or movie
The Deer Hunter.
7. Who/What inspired you to do what you do now?
I have been passionate about what I do from before I even knew what I really wanted to do.
8. If you were to change jobs, what profession would you get into ?
Politics or Media
9. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
The Ability to see into the Future
10. If you were deserted on an abandoned island, what 5 things would I want to have?
Given that My Wife is not a Thing
A very good cookery book
An enormous Library
11. If you were a car, which one would you be and why?
A Maserati I like to feel speed in the seat of my Pants.
12. If you could be in any band in the world, which one would it be? And why?
Carlos Santana. Because His Guitar is a Gift from God.
13. Share something interesting about yourself with our readers.
This Phrase said in a strong German Accent
Bin Ich so in Lieb mit dir
Als hat ich deine Blut getrunken
Translated into English
I am so in Love with You
It’s as if I have drunk your Blood
Had a near enough 100% Success Rate in my Youth of course.